Thursday, December 3, 2009

In the News: State Senator Scott McCoy resigns

ABC 4 News
Reported by: Chris Vanocur

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - Scott McCoy is resigning his position in the Utah State Senate.ABC4.com was the first to break this story early Tuesday afternoon.His resignation is effective Friday, December 4th. McCoy is the state senate's only openly gay member.In a statement released to ABC 4 News, McCoy said:
“I’ve been honored to serve the citizens of Utah and of District 2 for the last four years. My time in the Senate has been profoundly rewarding, but also an enormous personal sacrifice. The senators and representatives of Utah really make a terrific commitment of their time for the benefit of this state. It’s not just during the 45 days of the session. It’s every day and night. It’s during interims and constituent phone calls. My hat is off to my 103 colleagues who make this sacrifice day in and day out, every year.
“I’ve personally come to a crossroads in my career where I need to devote my full time and energy to the practice of law. To do any less is a disservice to my firm and my family. Unfortunately, I simply cannot find the necessary time to be a successful attorney and give the time and energy to fully represent the residents of my district.
“I’m very proud of the work I was able to accomplish as a Senator. We changed important policies, opened many minds, and broke down many barriers. Certainly, there is much more to be done. But for now, I need to leave that work in other capable hands.”
Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker expressed his appreciation to Senator McCoy, saying he has been a strong, articulate force in the State Senate. Becker also gives his full support to senior staff member Ben McAdams who shows interest in seeking to fill Scott McCoy's senate seat.

Read it HERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment